Friday, March 9, 2012

When You Are Being Bullied, It Seems Like The Whole World Is Against You, But It’s Not.

By Pamela J. Wells

When you are being bullied on a daily basis by one or more kids or young adults, it feels like you are in a bubble, where it is you and your tormentor(s). That is your life at that point in time. It is all you can see; however, there are other kids out there who are suffering just as much as you are from bullying and there are adults out there and parents of other children who are bullied regularly, who are not ok with it. I was one of those kids who was bullied on a regular, daily basis at school. There was always somebody bullying me, whether it was the kids on the bus or a particular individual at school. It was as if I had a sign stamped on my forehead that said, “This girl is shy and does not fight back, so feel free to pick on her.” I never responded to kids who bullied me. I never stood up for myself.

I was unhappy and suffered on a regular basis for several years while in school, because of being picked on and bullied. I just went to school and suffered through the torment, but I made it out and now it is in my past, but what I can say is that there is help out there; and, instead of doing nothing and not saying anything to anyone, the best thing to do when you are being bullied is to reach out to people who you trust, such as the school counselor, and if you have a favorite teacher who you really like, reach out to them. Reach out to your parents or grandparents. They will help you. At one particular time, during school, I was so upset over someone who was bullying and threatening me that I went to the teacher and asked to see the school counselor. I was crying and did not know what to do. Surprisingly, the counselor brought the girl in and we both talked and the issue was resolved. I never had a problem with her again. I do believe it is best to talk to a counselor. I am not saying that the bully should be brought into the counselor's office. This particular counselor thought that it would help and in my situation it did, but I'm not sure how it would work with other people. Definitely talk to someone you trust and feel comfortable talking to. A counselor is good, because the information is confidential and could help you find some possible solutions to dealing with the problem.

There are support groups out there that you can find online or locally. Here are a few websites and a video with helpful information on bullying and how to get help:

Stop Bullying...Take a Stand! (Excerpt)

Get Help

Resources Empower Tweens (children ages 8 - 12) to make safer online choices.  
Real Life Stories Videos from Teens Who Experienced Online Victimization (Youth Ages 11-17).
NSTeens 

Bullying Prevention:
National Crime Prevention Council


Copyright © 2012 Pamela J. Wells. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment